Okehampton High Moor Ring Road (Miles without Stiles)
Get a real sense of the Dartmoor wilderness by travelling military track looping around the observation points on the high moors. It runs close to High Willhays and Yes Tor, the highest points on Dartmoor. The route encircles East Mill Tor and runs south from Sandpits car park to the head of the East Okement River and Okement Hill then back again via a downhill section and ford crossing (Deep Ford) on the circular military track.
Important safety information:
- The route falls inside the active military training area and is unusable if red flags are flying. Check Dartmoor firing times before you visit.
- The ford crossing at Deep Ford can become impassable after heavy rain.
- Due to the open nature and altitude of this route it is very exposed and can be cold and windy. Come prepared with warm clothes and waterproofs.
Distance: 6 miles Difficulty: Easy to moderate Disabled Rambler Category: 3
Start: Okehampton Sand Pits (Grid Ref SX 592 944)
Maps: OS Explorer (1:25,000) No. 113 Okehampton, No. OL28 Dartmoor; OS Landranger (1:50,000) No. 191 Okehampton and North Dartmoor.
Facilities along route:
- Car parking is available at Okehampton Sand Pits (Row Tor Car Park)
- Cycle hire at Granite Way Cycles, Okehampton.
- Nearest toilet and Café (Granite Way Cycle Hub), Okehampton YHA
Theme: Moorland, Country, Heritage, Nature, Bird Watching.
Style of route: Much of the route is on a rough gravel track with some tarmac sections and granite cross drains and it is gate/stile free.